After a bit of an absence, I’m back … and happy to announce the launch of my new Medium publication, Our Human Family: Conversations on Achieving Equality! My decision to start a Medium publication in an already crowded marketplace is inspired by —
- the reality that despite what we see in the news, there are plenty of people out there who reject the lie of race as a means of oppressing marginalized groups
- people are replacing the lie of race with the inclusive truth of love and equality
- there are also those who want to take steps toward equality, but are unsure how and where to begin
- the fact that this is an important niche that has gone relatively ignored, and warrants handling in a thoughtful and respectful manner.
Since I’ve been tapped a couple times by Medium as a top writer in racism (thanks to your collective responses to my essays), I figured I’d give it a go. My philosophy about Our Human Family’s purpose can be found in the publication’s first essay, “The Simplicity of Equality.”
Our current focus is on nonfiction essays about the many facets of equality and racism, as well as what it takes to move away from a racist worldview to one that is more inclusive and egalitarian. We’ll feature new works on a weekly basis that will hopefully facilitate online conversations, as well as face-to-face chats in the real world.
Our Human Family also includes something you won’t see in many online publications, a statement of engagement. A what?! It’s an expression of how we as writers will strive to engage with our readers and how we hope our readers will engage with us and one another in return.
Our Human Family also has a Resources page, comprised of a trio of goodies for readers:
- a Writers page — an up-front listing of some well-known favorite writers you’ve read on Medium, and a few scribes you may not have encountered before. Over the upcoming weeks, new works written especially for Our Human Family will be featured on our Nonfiction page.
- a Topics page — since racism, its effects, and equality are multi-faceted subjects, you’ll find a topical listing of our writers’ works that address different aspects of equality and racism.
- a Suggested Readings page — we provide a list of both nonfictional and fictional works by renowned authors, classic novelists, and modern scribes that makes for a great starting point to learn about racism’s history, its impact, and related issues.
We’re also looking to showcase writers who hold similar views to add fresh points of view to the conversation. For those interested in writing for us, check out our submissions guidelines.
This is a new venture for me, and I’m all too aware that I can’t do it alone. In order for this effort to be successful on any level, it’ll take the combined efforts of both our writers and well as you, our readers. I invite you to reach out in the Comments section on any page, to me via a private message, or if you prefer, drop me a line at email@example.com. I’d love to hear from you.
I hope you’ll find something of value in Our Human Family, not only for yourself, but for others in our human family.
Love one another,
Our Human Family Founder and Editorial Director
Love one another.